2011 / 2012 / 2013 /
Column for 7.27.11
Some of the best advice Iíve ever been given comes from bulletin boards outside of churches.
For many years Iíve collected billboard words of wisdom and inspiration from in front of churches around the country, including from the Boonville United Methodist Church on Main Street. And some of the sayings in my collection have been sent to me from people who know of my interest in the power of words.
Hereís some of that wisdom and inspiration:
* Free trip to heaven. Details inside!
* Try our Sundays. Better than Baskin-Robbins.
* Searching for a new look? Have your faith lifted here!
* If you have been praying for snow, PLEASE STOP
* Honk If You love Jesus, Text While Driving If You Want To Meet Him.
* Have trouble sleeping? We have sermonsócome hear one!
* People are like tea bagsóyou have to put them in hot water before you know how strong they are.
* God so loved the world that He did not send a committee.
* Come in and pray today. Beat the Christmas rush!
* When down in the mouth, remember Jonah. He came out all right.
* Sign broken. Message is inside this Sunday.
* Fight truth decayóstudy the Bible daily.
* How will you spend eternityóSmoking or Non-smoking?
* Dusty Bibles lead to Dirty Lives.
* Come work for the Lord. Hard work, long hours, low pay, But retirement benefits are out of this world.
* Donít wait for a hearse to take you to church.
* If youíre headed in the wrong direction, God allows U-turns.
* If you donít like the way you were born, try being born again.
* The way some people live, they ought to obtain eternal fire insurance soon.
* In the Dark? Follow the Son.
* Running low on faith? Stop in for a fill-up.
* If you canít sleep, donít count sheep. Talk to the Shepherd.
* You are not too bad to come in, and you are not too good to stay out!
* He who wonít be counseled canít be helped.
* To silence gossip, refuse to repeat it.
* Salvation is free, but itís not cheap.
* Patience is a virtue that carries a lot of wait.
* If youíre not ready to forgive, youíre not ready for heaven.
* We canít know the future, just who holds it.
* The Bible is most helpful when open.
* Busy souls have no time to be busy bodies.
* Donít pray in desperation. Live in expectation.
* Earth is your journey, not your destination.
* Exposure to the Son will prevent you from burning later.
* Death and Taxes - Are you ready for both.
* 7 Days Without Prayer Makes One Weak.
* God Loves You Whether You Like It Or Not.
* Be An Organ Donor - Give Your Heart To Jesus.
* Donít wait for six strong men to bring you to church.
* Have you made God smile today?
And the social media has had an influence on those church bulletin boards. Take, for example, these recent additions to my collection:
* Let God Be Your GPS
* God answers knee mail.
* Spend less time on facebook and more time with HIS book.
* Faithbook - God has sent you a friend request.